Re: Oops, I blew away dpkg/dselect

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 12:52:05PM -0500, Matt Wehland wrote:
> The problem comes in that while upgrading something puked but the older
> version of dpkg was removed (yes I had to type in 'removing this may screw
> up your system' or something like that).

Don't do that then :-)

> The newer version of dpkg wasn't installed.  Now I can't install anything,
> including dpkg (either version) since dselect (or apt-get) return and error
> '/usr/bin/dpkg' returned and error.  Not suprising since dpkg isn't there.
> I am just in the process of rebuilding this system so starting over doesn't
> really bother me (I actually want to try some new things I've learned to
> par down the packages installed).
> But I would like to learn how to get around this problem in case I manage
> to do something this stupid in the future on a more important system.

You can retrieve enough of dpkg to get your system back by downloading
project/dpkg/dpkg-$(version)_$(arch).nondebbin.tar.gz from any Debian
mirror, untarring that in /, then using that to reinstall the dpkg
package.

It's probably a good idea to download the version of the non-Debianized
dpkg binary that roughly matches your distribution (so currently 1.6.15
for stable and 1.9.17 for testing/unstable).

Cheers,