Re: Help installing Debian 2.2r17

Hi,
Glad to hear about you using the Linux OS. and Debian is a great
Dist. to use, a little more tricky than most others, (mandrake, etc)
but in the end, I think you may prefer it over others.

Quoting "LaGuardia, Kristofer S." <KSLaGuardia@isecinc.com>:

> I tried searching the lists, but couldn't find anything.  I want to dual
> boot 2.2r17 with Windows 2000.

Firstly, 2.217 isn't the latest kernel, check out potato r3, if you want
the "stable" release of debian, goto woody or sid if your into the
newest stuff.

> if I
> want to create a partition for /usr, how would I specify the partition
> is
> for /usr?  Is it a type?  Anyhow...

I think there are different ways of doing this, but for now,
you could just create a 3rd partition in the same way as your / partition.
Then specify a mount point during the install process.

for example:
you would make hda1 --> swap
               hda2 --> linux   mounted to /
               hda3 --> linux   mounted to /usr

> I then get all the way to the step when it asks me to mount the swap, so
> select the partition for swap...then the same for Linux...no problem.  I
> had
> set both as primary, but the non-swap partition as boot.  is that
> correct?

yes

> asks me if I want to install LILO to MBR or to the partition, right?  So
> choose to the partition...then it asks me if I want to boot into Linux
> when
> I start the computer, and I say yes.  is this all correct for a dual
> boot?

This part can be tricky, becuase I don't know how Windows2000 handles its
booting. Usually, I would install all my OS's first, and then install Debian
last.
and use its boot manager to decice which OS I wanted.
After you install Linux, and then boot into it, you have to edit
the /etc/lilo.conf file to setup your other OS's.
Then run lilo from the command prompt to set the boot loader, and then your
done.

Check out www.linuxdoc.org and goto the HOW to's, they have some good stuff
in there.
Feel free to post more detailed questions here if you get stuck.

Hope this helps a bit    :)
Cheers,
Mike