Annoying Network Problem

I installed the stable (right now that's potato) release of Debian 2.2r3 on my old Packard Bell 133 Pent I with 32 Meg of ram. I finally managed to get my Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ configured properly on IRQ 4 at io 0x210, and it installs fine on bootup.

Then I get about 15 minutes of active connectivity to my network before it just stops working. The time actually varies because it appears to be a data limit problem. I can transfer about 260K of data, give or take 10K, before the connection shuts off. If I wait a while and run "pump" again manually from root, it comes back for another 260K, but of course this doesn't help me unless I'm at the console!

The system is connected via the ethernet card to a Linksys 4 way switch-and-router, which goes to my cable modem and then out into the real world.

I'm considering reinstalling the OS, but it would be the 4th time I've had to do that, and I'm about tired of installing all the packages I want every time. I might try recompiling the kernel first, but I doubt that'll help since I read somewhere that the nic module doesn't reside in the kernel.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!