From: "Wayne Topa" <wtopa@dmcom.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: Re : append still does not solve the problem NB : Please cc: me if you
have any solution

shyamk@eth.net(shyamk@eth.net) is reported to have said:
> As you suggested I gave the append entry :
> Image   = /boot/kernel-2.4.9
>         label   = Woody-249
>         Root    = /dev/hda10
>         VGA     = 0x31A
>         append  = "hdd=cdrom lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none video=vesa"
>
> (my lilo as installed looks slightly different but that hasn't created any problems
> on any other machine and shouldn't be the cause here.)
> Starting lpd :            parport0 : detected irq 7 ; use procfs to enable
interrupt
> driven operation
>  continues to occur.

I think that you must have IRQ 7 assigned to the printer port in your
bios.  If you disable it, in the bios, the above should work.

> I would like to ask you about Interrupts and Parport.
>
> As per the rules who gets Interrupt 7 ?
> Is it Parport0 ?
it is either the bios or the board.  I don't recall if you said the
printer port was built onto the board or if you have a seperate card
for it.

See above.  The printer does not need an IRQ.  So that it can be
available to other boards (network cards, etc) you can use the append
= to none.

If you have many IRQ's to spare, lucky you, yes, you can change the
none to 7.  I just hate to waste an IRQ on something that doesn't need
it.

Please _do_not_ Cc me!  Send to the list only!!

--
Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and
used.