Re: debian: usb logitech mouse help with devfs required

Brendan J Simon wrote:

I'm trying to get my USB Logitech optical mouse to work with my Pentium machine. It is currently running a mixture of testing and stable distros. I am currently using the latest kernel-image-2.4.x-k6 with devfs and xfree86 from stable (ie. not version 4.x.x).

I have been searching the net and found links to devfs and usb. I have since found out that my motherboard is an SiS board and requires the OHCI USB driver. I have managed to load usb-core, usb-ohci, and usbmouse drivers via modprobe. I can get the drivers to recognise my mouse and it prints appropriate messages to the console when I plug the mouse in and out of the USB port. I am expecting that devfs will show /dev/input/mouse* and/or /dev/input/mice and/or /dev/usb/* entries but I don't get anything. I can't point XF86Config to any valid mouse driver.

Can someone please point me in the right direction. How do I get devfs to give me appropriate entries for my USB Logitech optical mouse.

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.

I have the same mouse and these are the modules I load for mine.

hid
mousedev
input
usb-uhci
usbcore

I don't know if this will help since my setup is a little different from yours (I don't use devfs and I have XFree 4.1) but it might be worth a shot
(I also use 2.4.9 compiled myself)