Re: debian: usb logitech mouse help with devfs required

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 12:00:43PM +1000, Brendan J Simon wrote:

| I'm trying to get my USB Logitech optical mouse to work with my Pentium
| machine.  It is currently running a mixture of testing and stable
| distros.  I am currently using the latest kernel-image-2.4.x-k6 with
| devfs and xfree86 from stable (ie. not version 4.x.x).
|
| I have been searching the net and found links to devfs and usb.  I have
| since found out that my motherboard is an SiS board and requires the
| OHCI USB driver.  I have managed to load usb-core, usb-ohci, and
| usbmouse drivers via modprobe.  I can get the drivers to recognise my
| mouse and it prints appropriate messages to the console when I plug the
| mouse in and out of the USB port.  I am expecting that devfs will show
| /dev/input/mouse* and/or /dev/input/mice and/or /dev/usb/* entries but I
| don't get anything.  I can't point XF86Config to any valid mouse driver.
|
| Can someone please point me in the right direction.  How do I get devfs
| to give me appropriate entries for my USB Logitech optical mouse.

Your mouse is supported -- I have an older Logitech MouseMan Wheel
(USB / PS2 adapter) and it works well.  Just for fun I took the
reciever from my brother's Logitech wireless keyboard and MouseMan
Wheel and plugged it into my USB port and Linux found them right away.

The key is to load "mousedev" instead of "usbmouse".  If "usbmouse" is
needed it will be loaded automagically.  I'm not sure, but it may the
that mousedev is needed to recognize the mouse itself, then usbmouse
is used to drive it.  You will need to point gpm (or X) to
/dev/input/mice instead.  This device file will report back all (USB,
I'm not sure about PS2) mice attached to the machine if there is more
than one.  Hey, I just noticed that there is /dev/input/mouse0 too.  I
guess that lets you specify certain mice for certain programs.  That's
cool.

HTH,
-D