Re: dominate xdm?

> New install and just got X to work. xdm starts twm, which is lame, on
> VC7 with a login. You can't get out of it on that console. Startx won't
> work anywhere of cours.
>
> I want to use e.g. icewm. How do I reconfigure xdm to default to a
> different
> window manager, and/or turn xdm off? I couldn't find the script to
> change in /etc/X11.

Hopefully installing the icewm deb will sort things almost out of the box.
As for stopping xdm, it is answered in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.
Yet I believe it will not be necessary.
I am not sure but basically the configuration of the default window manager is
done with the alternative system and /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50xfree86-common_deter
mine-startup.

> I wrote a test .xsession file (did make executable) with just exec
> xterm. Even though allow-user-xsession does in
> /etc/X11/Xsession.options, that $HOME/.xsession doesn't prevail and
> still stuck with twm.

I am not sure if ~/.xsession-errors will be meaningful in this case but you
might still look at it. It might tell you what went wrong. Another file that
could be handy is /var/log/xdm.log.

Perhaps you want to post your ~/.xsession here?