Re: dominate xdm?

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 11:43:07AM -0400, richard wrote:
> New install and just got X to work. xdm starts twm, which is lame, on
> VC7 with a login. You can't get out of it on that console. Startx won't
> work anywhere of cours.
>
> I want to use e.g. icewm. How do I reconfigure xdm to default to a
> different
> window manager, and/or turn xdm off? I couldn't find the script to
> change in /etc/X11.
>
> I wrote a test .xsession file (did make executable) with just exec
> xterm. Even though allow-user-xsession does in
> /etc/X11/Xsession.options, that $HOME/.xsession doesn't prevail and
> still stuck with twm.

If you don't want a graphical login remove xdm with apt-get.

To load icewm from xdm or startx, if the executable name is "icewn" put -
exec icewm
in ~/.xsession

Make sure all "exec" lines are backgrounded with "&" except one.

For example -

#!/bin/sh
exec xterm &
exec icewm

Used in this manner .xsession doesn't have to be set as executable.
hth,
kent