Re: Mounting a windows partition with full access

on Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 12:21:34AM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini (rasa@gmx.ch) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have set im my fstab to load my windows partition with vfat.
> The right are set defaultly set to 755 for all files. So only Root can write.
> I want that it will be mounted with 666 rights set. How can i make that?

Don't do that.

Even in a limited user system, you're better off setting access for user
and group, and adding users to a group which allows access to the
device.  There are some processes and users which you really don't want
to give access to your system, and for which even a "single user" box
may be vulnerable to, under man common configurations.

I'd create a group, or utilize and existing one, which is to be used for
accessing this partition, and set an appropriate umask, e.g.:

    /dev/hda1  /mnt/dos  vfat auto,user,nosuid,nodev,gid=104,umask=002 2 2

Cheers.