John Kittel wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, GECOS wrote:
>
> > John Kittel wrote:
> > >
> > > /var/log/ker.log has kernel entry
> > > parport0: pc-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
> > > the kernel found the parallel port LPT1
> > > modprobe -c has entry
> > > alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> > > /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21-compact/modules.dep
> > > has entry /*/*/parport.o and /*/*/parport_pc.0
> > > modprobe parport and modprobe parport_pc
> > > and modprobe lp do not work because
> > > lptest 36 7 > /dev/lp0 still returns
> > > bash: /dev/lp0: No such device
> > > debian 2.2r3 will not run the printer
> > > will answer any questions. Please help
> > > John Kittel Thanks :->
> > >
> > > reply to             ipit@shell.gis.net
> > >
> > > --
> > maybe IRQ needs "none" as in
> > (/etc)lilo.conf
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > append="parport0=0x378,none"
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > ???
> >

> > --
> >

> Sorry for the delayed response. Help appreciated.
> lilo is not installed. boot from loadlin.
> modconf for parport_pc parport0 with entry
> /dev/lp0 caused the message
> parport_pc parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
> when boot kernel 2.2.18pre21-compact #1
> The guess /dev/lp0 did not work. No lp so modprobe lp
> did not work. /usr/lib/modules_help/ is not present.
> Am looking to install /*/*/modules_help/.
> Debian 2.2r3 will not run the printer. Please
> respond with questions or comments.
> Thanks, John Kittel :->
>
> reply to             ipit@shell.gis.net
>
> --
o.k.: loadlin...Windows is known to leave values in system
registers/buffers after a warm boot so you must find a way to make
sure this isn't happening...to avoid all of this try a
dual boot configuration using lilo...if you decide to take this route
remember two (2) things: 1: carefully read the documentation.
2: After leaving windows you may have to decide on a cold or warm boot
into linux.there are some exceptions to this; once
again read the documentation...hope you decide to give it a go...good
luck if you do .. if you already know about this you might want to try a
/dev/nvram hack or something...of course, I could be wrong too... :)