Re: ALERT: XFree86 4.1.0-3 maintainer scripts hosed; please wait for 4.1.0-4

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 09:58:05PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
| dman wrote:
| > I use bash as my shell.  However the depends for initrd and/or
| > kernel-image want ash,...
|
| Fine, but if they really need it they have to call it as 'ash' or they are
| buggy.

I guess you mean at runtime, not in the Depends: line.  I would agree
with you on that.

| > ...so /bin/sh is ash.
|
| You shouldn't need that: see above.  While in theory /bin/sh -> ash should
[...]
| There is no need to make ash your system shell just because a few packages
| depend on it.

Right, but I figured I might as well have a more compact system shell
since bash is specified as my login shell anyways.  I shouldn't notice
a difference, unless I track memory usage closely (because ash should
use less memory than bash for scripts that use /bin/sh).

| work since all maintainer scripts that use /bin/sh are supposed to be free
| of bashisms, in practice there may still be a few that aren't.

That would become a (my) problem, and I guess that would be up to me
to debug on my system (or just switch shells) :-).

The X 4.1.0-3 install scripts are an example that makes your point.

| Craig Dickson wrote:
| > I have ash installed also, but my /bin/sh --> bash. So I don't think that
| > the ash install script makes that association,...
|
| Of course not.  ash does not conflict with bash.  Why should it?  It's just
| another shell, like tcsh and ksh.  It just installs itself as /bin/ash and
| leaves /bin/sh alone.

Actually, IIRC, it uses debconf and asks you if you want /bin/sh to
point to ash or whether you want it left alone.

| I can't find any kernel-image package that depends on ash, and initrd-tools
| wants it so that it can put it in the image (bash is too big).

I didn't look at the individual dependencies, I just tried to remove
ash to see what would disappear.  As initrd-tools depends on ash, and
kernel-image depends on initrd-tools both would disappear as a result
of removing ash.

Ok, running 'dpkg-reconfigure ash' brings up that dialog that asks
whether or not I want to make /bin/sh point to ash.

-D