xterm or rxvt -why the keys difference?

I have various alt- keys mapped in vim to save, delete lines etc. These
work in the console and they work in rxvt but they don't work in xterm.
In xterm, alt-s and s, for example, give the same symbol. Using the GUI
version of vim, however, works without problems in xterm.

I've read all the docsc I can find about xterm and rxvt but none seems
to explain this difference. Can anyone shed light on it?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Bigot, n. One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion
that you do not entertain.                   [Ambrose Bierce]