Re: server on a 486/100 with 408mb drive

General rule of Linux:

 Server, use older mature platform.
 Client, have fun with latest thing but expect some glitch.

So you should install potato with Kernel 2.2.

I have woody box (SMP/woody) but my server is 486/DX2 50MHz 20MB
running Kernel 2.2 /Potato (here)

  Mail server (exim) + DNS server + DHCP server + Samba Server +
  nfs server + ssh server + cvs server +
  ipchain based packet filter firewall (ipmasq plus some script)

As far as it is used as home LAN firewall/server/gateway, this is very
fast!  I did not run web server but it shall not be a problem for your
fast machine.

Since you do not likely to have SMP machine nor fancy USB, why
bother with 2.4.

I can assure you, installing software is pain in slow machine and best
done with apt-get (run dselect on fast machine and find package).

Also, if you are asking this question to the list, you should be staring
with POTATO.  You can always upgrade to woody later.  Unless you want
some specific feature, POTATO + 2.2 Kernel is enough.

Cheers;-)

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +