XFree 4.1 and DRI stability

Hi Debian Users,

I just got the whole DRI thing working and to try it
out, I installed Q3-Arena. I'm running an 2.4.8
SMP-kernel and XFree 4.1. on a Voodoo3.

The thing is, that this configuration is extremly
instable. I can reproduce crashes (complete system
halts!) at any time. I was wondering what made that
whole DRI thing so
instable.

Is it XFree 4?
Is it the Voodoo3 DRI drivers?
Is it Quake3?
Is it the fact that I'm running in SMP?

I know, I could try out different configurations in
order to get answers to these questions. Unfortunately
I don't have the time for that. So I was wondering if
anyone else had problems of this kind.

Bye,

Herbert