Upgrade to Woody

So it looks as if most of my present problems are version based, the
fact that Debian Potato[e] tends to be somewhat old in software
versions.

I'd like to upgrade to Woody, Kernel 2.4.x, XFree 4.x, etc.

So I put "testing" in place of "stable" in the /etc/apt/sources.whatever
file, and tried to dselect my way to bliss.

However, the package dependencies are so weird that I could not
rationalize the results. Why would Libc6 have been un-selected is beyond
my ken.

Can someone suggest a command line "apt-get -install && update" or
similar mystic arcanity? For all the wonder and joy that Dselect usually
bestows, this seems to be just like last year at this time when I
finally updated to Potato[e], it was a command line leap of faith.

Curt-

--
The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone and I must follow, if I can,