IDE tape drive

hi guys,
i have a machine with an IDE tape drive, 20Gb in size or so. my kernel
has the ide-tape.o module, and /dev/ht0 exists. the logs are fine, in
short... i think the tape drive just might work.

however, i have no clue how to use it. could someone give me a primer?
i looked online but couldn't find a nice linux & tapes primer.

what software do i need?
how can i format a tape? do i need to?
how do i store onto tape?
how can i read from tape?

thanks,
1-800-psych
hello, welcome to the psychiatric hotline.
if you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will
tell you which number to press.