Re: OT: wireless peer-to-peer

[ Why all the wireless questions all of a sudden? There are dedicated
  lists for this, y'know. ]

Brian Stults wrote:
> I have a limited amount of money to try to upgrade my home lan (linux
> PC, linux laptop, and windows PC) to wireless.  So for now, I was
> thinking of keeping the wired connection between the two PCs, and
> setting up a wireless connection between the linux PC and the linux
> laptop.  Am I correct in thinking that I will not necessarily need an
> access point for this, as long as I am sure to get cards that support
> peer-to-peer?

That is correct. And all 802.11 cards probably support IBSS mode (except
really old wavelan cards that have their own Ad-Hoc demo mode).

> I am thinking that I can have three NICs in the linux PC:
>
> #1 - ethernet card wired to cable modem
> #2 - ethernet card wired to hub which is wired to windows PC
> #3 - wireless PCI/PC card combo to connect with laptop
>
> Then, when I get some more money, I can replace the hub with a wireless
> access point, and move the PCI/PC card to the windows PC.  Would this
> work?  Am I thinking correctly?  Thanks!

Assuming the pcmcia bridge works in windows, I suppose it would work.

--
see shy jo