NFS to RAM disk root

I'm working on a diskless Woody install where root "/" is mounted with
NFS, but I need to be able to continue working with a loss of the NFS mount.
Thus I want to get my root image over NFS, copy it to a tmpfs RAM disk and then
switch the root mount to the RAM disk (probably with pivot_root).  Can anyone
point me to documentation on switching your root mount or offer pointers on how
I'd go about doing this?  I figure it all needs to be done at boot up, but I'm
not sure how to go about it.

Thanks,
Matthew H. Ray
mray@lordsofcomputing.com