Re: networking problem during install

on Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:56:22AM -0700, Bob Galloway (bob@de-fac.to) wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 04:55:15PM -0700, Brandon High wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 01:04:51PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > Another thought:  PCI bus problems?
> > >
> > > Have you tried an alternate card in the box?  If everthing outside the
> > > box works, the card(s) work, and the CPU isn't misbehaving, I'd suspect
> > > a mobo/bus problem.  No idea how to diagnose same, but you've indicated
> > > this is older hardware.
> >
> > If it is a PCI problem, you might not have to replace the card. With some
> > PCI busses, moving the card from one slot to another can help due to
> > resource allocations. It's worth a try.
>
> I've tried an alternate card, but I get the same symptoms.  All my
> cards work when put in other boxes.

Does the alternate card use the same driver?

Do you have a copy of the LNX-BBC handy?  Its HW detection's pretty
damned good.

> I hope it's not a PCI bus problem; this box only has two PCI slots,
> and I need them both if I'm going to turn it into a firewall.  At any
> rate, I get the same problem regardless of which PCI slot the card is
> in.  This might just mean that the PCI bus is hosed...  I'm not sure
> how to test that.  I could try to put a sound card in and see if it
> plays, but I'd have to install sound drivers, which would be a big
> hassle since I just have the install disk kernel to work with on the
> box.
>
> Is there a way to test the PCI bus with just the install disks, or
> maybe a program that could be shuttled to the box via floppy?

Googling "pci bus diagnostics" turns up a couple of software tools, but
the usual route seems to be a PCI diagnostic cards, e.g.:

    http://www.uxd.com/phdpci.shtml

They're worth considerably more than the value of a P90, I'd probably
scrap the box and find a replacement.  Maybe take the thing in to a shop
to confirm your guess.