Re: Looking for a wireless ethernet solution...

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:20:56PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:

:Can you mix and match 802.11(b) gear and expect it to cooperate?

Yes, that's the point.  Expecting and it actually happenning....

I've seen a mix of cards talk to Lucent/Oronoco (sp) card, so I'd be
optimistic about that.

There are (or were) media converters to go from a wired NIC to 802.11
(bring your own card though), I got my hands on one and it didn't
quite do what I wanted.

My hope was that I could plug this frob into a port on my hub and it
would pass through a signal from my laptop.  No dice, apparently
there's a difference in the standard between an access point and a
client node.

After much mucking about I did get it attached to my Linux router
(parameters need to be passed at module load to set Ad Hoc mode or
something), It did finally work, but I had to return the hardware.

Not sure where to hunt one of these down or how much they cost, the
one I had was from Lucent.

a SOHO class wireless hub would be cleaner, and they usually (always)
have RJ45 jacks.

-Jon