Re: Linksys EtherFast 10/100 v5 has no IRQ

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 08:28:56PM -0700, bedlam@alumni.rice.edu wrote:

> Like I said, I don't kno why there is no IRQ for the NIC.  I've tried
> compiling the code you sent me, I'm attaching the output I got back.  I used
> the command I found in the readme file on the disk.  I used the code you
> sent me though...

    From the first line, it looks like it's not finding the headers.

gcc: [ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMOSVERSIONS: No such
file
 or directory

    Make sure your kernel-headers package in installed, and make a symlink
from /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/<kernel-headers>

    Here's an exerpt from my floppy...

Step 2 : Compile the source code by using

         "gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
          -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c
          '[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo
          -DMODVERSIONS`"

    So even if that directory existed, it's -DMODVERSIONS, not -DMOSVERSIONS.
As in module versions.

    You'll need to compile everything I sent you.

    Also, I'm told that the 1.4 version apparently works with kernel 2.2.19 as
is, so if you haven't tried the tulip source from that kernel, give it a shot.

    The reason why you're not getting an IRQ is very possibly because the BIOS
is set to PNP. You should figure out how to get into the bios and disable PNP.
Then you should see an IRQ on that card when you boot. The same thing happened
to me, so while I'm not 100% sure, it's a good bet.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <michael.soulier@home.com>
"Pretty soon, massive bloat is the industry standard and everyone is using