Re: Partitioning Advice

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 01:49:19PM -0600, John Purser wrote:
> I'm installing Debian Woody as the only OS on an IBM PC with a 20 gig hard
> drive, 192 megs of ram, and two Ethernet cards.  This machine will be my
> network gateway and provide DNS, DHCP, Web, and database service for my
> small network.  Not a lot of users and not a lot of data.  I'm a programmer
> who just wants a test network to play with. The partition scheme I'm
> considering is:
> /	243 Megs
too big 100mb

> /boot	60  Megs
10mb

> /home	1 Gig
16 gigs

> /usr	16 Gigs
2 gigs

> /var	1 Gig
fine, unless you want a squid cache.
> /tmp	1 Gig
none, don't make one

> /swap 500 Megs

Plenty, though I'd use about 300 or so at the max...

I symlink /tmp to /home/tmp, and run tmpreaper on my /tmp.  Instead of
deleting, I just move it over to /tmp, and leave it there until tmpreaper
cleans up after me.  It's kinda like a manual recycle bin.

You should run with a read only /usr, for security reasons, especially since
it is also a firewall.  Don't run your compiles in /usr.  If you don't want
a bin /home make a big /usr/local...

Mike