Re: Old BIOS does not support bootable cdroms

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:25:38 CDT, ktb writes:
>On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:12:17PM -0400, Ken Mead wrote:
>> I was given on old P166 and want to put Debian on it however the old BIOS
>> does not support bootable cd's. Can someone please point/help me make a
>> floppy disk that will allow me to boot my debian cd so I can get this box
>> running. I would go and get the floppy images but I only
>> have one floppy left.
>
>Go get floppies.  You will need at least three depending on which kernel
>you use to boot.  You will need rescue.bin, root.bin and one or more
>driver.bin.  Once you have these images on floppies boot with rescue,
>load the kernel with boot.bin and then install what drivers you need
>including networking and install via Internet.  I'm assuming you have a
>net connection.  That's the way I would go.  After installing the base
>you could install the rest via cdrom.  There are other options available
>if that doesn't suit you.  Take a look at the installation instructions
>at the Debian web site for more.

Well, with only one floppy you´ll need a second machine, I wouldn´t
 know any way around that problem. Fetch rescue.bin, root.bin and
 driver*bin. Put rescue.bin on the floppy, boot with it. When asked for
 the root-floppy, take out, put root.bin on it, insert, install. Lather,
 rinse, repeat for the driver-disks.

/Way/ easier would be getting some disks. They´re usually available at
 your local computer-store and cost approx. $3/10pc. (at least here in
 .at). You´ll be wanting _two_ tomsrtbt[0]-disks anyway, JIC something
 breaks badly (and, given enough time, something will, trust me).

0: http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html

cheers,
&rw
--
-- ignorami: n: The BOFH art of folding problem
-- lusers into representational shapes.