Re: Old BIOS does not support bootable cdroms

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:12:17PM -0400, Ken Mead wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was given on old P166 and want to put Debian on it however the old BIOS
> does not support bootable cd's. Can someone please point/help me make a
> floppy disk that will allow me to boot my debian cd so I can get this box
> running. I would go and get the floppy images but I only
> have one floppy left.

Go get floppies.  You will need at least three depending on which kernel
you use to boot.  You will need rescue.bin, root.bin and one or more
driver.bin.  Once you have these images on floppies boot with rescue,
load the kernel with boot.bin and then install what drivers you need
including networking and install via Internet.  I'm assuming you have a
net connection.  That's the way I would go.  After installing the base
you could install the rest via cdrom.  There are other options available
if that doesn't suit you.  Take a look at the installation instructions
at the Debian web site for more.
hth,
kent