q ad mp3-software

Hi!

I´m on a rather slow machine, a Pentium running at 50 MHz. This is just
 fine for working, and should be reasonably fast for playing mp3´s.

With mpg123 (stable) CPU-usage is ~ 70 %, but I get random clicks and
 other nasty distortions. Ok, renice mpg123 to -3, so it should be
 served before anything else (other than swap et al). No change. xmms is
 out of the question anyway, it eats 50 % CPU on my P3/850MHz-notebook, so
I don´t wonder that it doesn´t live up to the task on the slow box (not
 even when setuid root´ing it and using the "realtime priority"-thingie).

Then I tried playing ´round with the IRQ-priorities, setting the IRQ
 for the soundcard (SB16/ISA) to highest priority. Still no luck.

Any ideas? I don´t want to up-clock (and increase power-usage thus) the
 machine just for being able to play mp3´s... Maybe there´s some
 optimized player out there, and I´m just not able to locate it...

Whatever, happy for any advice/hints/FMs to R/..

cheers+TIA,
&rw
--
-- Booze: because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine.
----