Re: Partitioning Advice

on Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 01:49:19PM -0600, John Purser (jmpurser2@home.com) wrote:
> I'm installing Debian Woody as the only OS on an IBM PC with a 20 gig
> hard drive, 192 megs of ram, and two Ethernet cards.  This machine
> will be my network gateway and provide DNS, DHCP, Web, and database
> service for my small network.  Not a lot of users and not a lot of
> data.  I'm a programmer who just wants a test network to play with.
> The partition scheme I'm considering is:

> /	243 Megs	# Biggish, but not overly.
> /boot	60  Megs

> /home	1 Gig	  <-+
                    | I'd swap these, and give /usr/ about 2-3 GB.
> /usr	16 Gigs   <-+

> /var	1 Gig
> /tmp	1 Gig		# Way biggish.  250 MB should be plenty.
> /swap 500 Megs	# Biggish, not overly.
>
> Given the resources and purpose of this machine can anyone see
> anything wrong with this?  I haven't found a lot of hard do's and
> don'ts when it comes to partitioning so I copied this from a machine
> that has Red Hat installed and then added the /tmp partition and
> bumped the /var to handle large logs.  Then I cut the /home down
> drastically and dumped the rest into /usr.
>
> Suggestions?  Comments? Raucous laughter at my expense?

Depends on what you're serving on this puppy.  If you put a lot of data,
or a squid proxy (highly recommended) on the box, you may want to
increase either /var or /home, depending on where you park data.

Simple truth is that 20GB is so overkill for this purpose that you're
not really going to go wrong.

My general suggestions:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

Cheers.