Re: What to do next?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:18:08AM +0000, Siu On Chan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   Sorry for asking stupid questions again.
>   I've now compiled and installed Linux kernel 2.4.9, so the sis900.o should
> be working properly. What should I do next to get online?
>   First, my /etc/modules.conf does not contain any line about the sis900
> module. Should I add something like "alias eth0 sis900"? If I should, how to
> add such a line(The file tells me not to modify it)?
>   Second, sis900.o is compiled as a module instead of a build-in of the
> kernel. So I must load the module. I've tried to load the module with
> modconf, but no module was found. (Probably because modules are located at
> /lib/modules/2.4.9/drivers/net/ instead of /lib/modules/2.4.9/net) I then
> tried insmod sis900, but the following error message was printed:
>   Using /lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o
>   RTNL: assertion failed at devinet.c(776):inetdev_event
>   /lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o: init_module: No such
> device
>   Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> How to load it into the kernel correctly?

1) depmod -a

	this will fill in the dependency files in /lib/modules/KERNELVERSION/modules.*.

2) modprobe sis900

	this will insert the module along with it's dependencies. If this fails, you
have another problem somewhere.

If you want to ensure the module is loaded into the kernel you can add the alias
line into /etc/modutils/aliases.

3) update-modules

	this will update build a new /etc/modules.conf from the files in /etc/modutils

Anthony