Re: Partitioning after-effects (after the fact)

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 01:07:44AM +0800, csj wrote:

| Not quite. It seems that the famed grub command prompt can't handle a
| shifted partition. Remember how grub freaks like to brag about the
| bootloader's ability to arbitrarily load kernels (the reason I shifted
| to grub when I first began experimenting with Debian)?
|
| Well, I had to reinstall grub after repartitioning. Both menu and
| command prompt were MIA. It seems that grub was looking for data in a
| renumbered partition. Originally I had installed from hda16 (hda14 after
| the lobotomy). The problem wasn't too much of a brainer. I just had to
| dig through my CDR filer for the all-too-important rescue disk.

Yes, this would occur if the partition where the stage2 is located
gets moved.  The stage1 has the partition for the stage2 hard-coded in
it (done at install time) so that it can load it.  It is the stage2
(which doesn't fit in the MBR) that can read filesystems and has the
command prompt.

LILO would get screwed up with this as well -- Richard Gooch's devfs
FAQ explains that LILO writes the major and minor device numbers of
the root partition in the kernel when it boots it, the result being a
hardcoded partition.

In conclusion I think it is best to have the bootloader stuff near the
beginning of the disk so that changes like this won't affect it.
so that these

-D