Building Courier the Debian way

Hello,

I'm trying to build courier from source, using the source and patch from
the debian site.  I untarred the source and applied the patch, and that
went just fine.  I'm getting a wierd error, and I'm sure it's something
very simple, but I don't know how to fix it.

$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is courier
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.35.0.20010807-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Stefan Hornburg (Racke)
<racke@linuxia.de>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
sh: debian/rules: bad interpreter: Permission denied
$
------------------------------

If I tell it not to clean, I still get

$ dpkg-buildpackage -nc -rfakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is courier
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.35.0.20010807-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Stefan Hornburg (Racke)
<racke@linuxia.de>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
 debian/rules build
/usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage: debian/rules: bad interpreter: Permission
denied
$

I'm running unstable on kernel 2.4.9.  If there are any other questions,
please ask away.

thanks,

Justin