Re: Monitor standby

Arthur Buijs(art.buijs@wxs.nl) is reported to have said:

> Thanks for looking into my problem.
>
> I didn't startup X but I think Linux starts it as last part of te
> bootprocess.
>
> When I turn on the PC and after all the messages have been displayed the
> monitor turns to stand-by mode (screen black and led turns from green to
> amber). If I then enter <ctrl><alt><F1-6> the monitor turns on again and
> I'm able to use a console. When I go to tty1 I can see the last line
> saying "Starting X display manager: xdm.".

Aha.  You didn't mention that before.

It seems, to me, that you do not have X configured correctly then.
You are going into xdm, in X, but the monitor doesn't display the xdm
login.

As you are running potato I am going to assume that your X version is
X3.xx.  Did you use XF86Setup to configure X?  If not run that and
have your monitor spec's handy.  Select your video card from them card
menu.  Be sure that you have the xserver-vga16 and whichever xserver-?
file that applies to your Diamond Stealth 3D 4000.  Have you checked
the Xfree site to see which xserver handles your card?

> I tried another monitor but with the same result.

Its the configuration, not the monitor.

> Although I'm pretty sure I entered the right values for my video card
> and monitor there seems to be a problem with the configuration of X.
> Maybe someone uses a Diamond Stealth 3D 4000 video card and knows what
> values I should enter to solve the problem.

I hope someone with that card will chime in with some specifics about
setting it up in X.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
--
Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven.