Re: Monitor standby

	Subject: Monitor standby
	Date: Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 10:54:14PM +0200

Quoting Arthur Buijs(art.buijs@wxs.nl):
> I installed Linux (Debian Potato) for the first time. During installation I had to choose between simple and advanced for installing additional software. I used simple and selected all the packages containing the word Gnome or the character X (as recommended in "Installing Debian Potato by Mark Stone). During the process the configuration tool anXious detects that I need the s3v server. This seems right because I have a Diamond card with a s3 chipset. I know the video card has 4MB video memory. I used the documentation that came with the monitor to enter te appropriate values for hor/ver sync. I selected a few different resolutions which I know the monitor can handle.
>
> After installation I can use tty1-tty6 but if I press <ctrl><alt><F7> the monitor turns to stand-by mode. What might have gone wrong?

In the default installation, <ctrl><alt><F7> get you to 'back' to
where 'X' is running.  If you didn't start X there is nothing to see
there. If you have configured your /etc/X11/XF86Config correctly for
you video card and monitor, and then run startx, you should enter X.
If you then want to go back to a console you enter <ctrl><alt><F1-6>.
Then to get back into X <ctrl><alt><F7>.

Hope that came out clear enough.

Please set your test to 72 columns in future mails.

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.