Woody installer not allowing device selection

Hi,

I'm happily using potato, but my attempts to upgrade to woody have been
frustrated by what looks like a bug.

After selecting/formatting partitions, and just as the device selection
menu is coming up, the menu shuts down and takes me to the 'enter
hostname' menu, without giving me a chance to select the driver for my
nic. This doesn't happen with woody.

Also, if I work around this by launching the installer from DOS, I get a
working woody. But when I go to install Sun's Java Dev Kit 1.3, and do
the obligatory 'apt-get -f install', the java doesn't seem properly
installed - running java without arguments causes a java exception.
Again, no such issue on potato.

Any thoughts on either of these issues?

Cheers
David