Re: cdrecord

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 10:26:38AM -0400, Titus Barik wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Robert Waldner wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:59:32 EDT, Titus Barik writes:
> > >I get the following when doing cdrecord -scanbus:
> > >
> > >chronos:/home/barik# cdrecord -scanbus
> > >Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jrg Schilling
> > >cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> > >cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> > >are root.
> >
> > Do you have SCSI-support compiled in your kernel (ether fix or as
> >  (loaded!) modules)?
>
> I do have SCSI support for my card compiled into the kernel, since I am
> able to mount my CD-ROMs and access my SCSI HD. Let me know if I am
> incorrect.

You may be ... cd writers are accessed via SCSI generic devices (the
existence of device files in /dev/does not mean that the support is
compiled into your kernel).

Do "cat /proc/devices" and look for "21 sg" under "Character devices:"

If you see that entry you've got SCSI generic support in your kernel.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.