Re: rlogin delays

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:39:44PM +0200, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> hello,
> I have installed the latest potato/2.2.19 on one of my network PCs.
> When I rlogin into it from another host it takes more than a minute
> before I get prompted for a password. There is nothing else of
> consequence running on the debian system. No messages in the
> system log, and once logged in everything is fine.
> Clues ?
> Cliff

DNS lookups? (Or maybe even ident... Admittedly I'm not that familiar with
rlogin) I have found with many services delays like this are caused by your
servers inability to resolve your hostname etc...

Try adding your hostname and IP address to /etc/hosts if you have no DNS
server available...

hth,
Iain