Configuring ethernet driver

Hi,

I would like point out a problem with the installation
instructions for Debian. Nowhere does the user receive a hint how
to configure the Ethernet driver. I wasted considerable time
getting my network connection up because I didn't know, 1) what
my Ethernet card driver was and 2)what configuration parameters
it needed.

I did get things up a running. I'd like to feed my experience
back into the documentation. Has anyone else had the same
problem(s) and if so, where could the documentation be improved
to make installation easer?

Gary Setter