Re: bash-2.05.0(1) bug or new feature

on Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 08:21:52PM -0700, Dan Wilder (dan@ssc.com) wrote:
> I've recently upgraded a number of systems to debian-woody, current
> as of a couple of days ago, and run into a bug or a new feature
> (I hope not) in bash-2.05.0(1) or some related library.  This new
> feature confounds an untold number of shell scripts.
>
> The bash "cd" builtin now apparently echos its new CWD to standard out.
> It did not do this, at least as of version 2.01.1(1) as found in
> debian-slink.
>
> If I have a directory named "test",
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd test
>
> in a script produces:
>
> /home/dan/test
>
> as its output.  Well, that's OK, I don't really need the extra
> screen noise, but I can live with it.

I can't replicate this behavior either.

GNU bash, version 2.05.0(1)-release (i386-pc-linux-gnu)

Could you post a script with a sample of the behavior?

Have you tried moving your shell init scripts or invoking bash with the
--noprofile option to avoid reading any of your profiles?  I suspect a
user or system config is tweaking you.