Re: package in a bad way - what to do

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 07:39:16PM -0500, burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Have you tried apt-get --purge remove <program name>
>
> Just did this. I got the following
>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   aime*
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 3  not upgraded.
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 2408kB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] dpkg: error processing aime (--purge):
>  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
>  reinstall it before attempting a removal.
>  aime
>

> ... how do I reinstall the thing? Is 'reinstallation' distinct from plain
> installation? I tried downloading the .deb directly and dpkg -i installing
> it ... no go. I want this freakin' thing off my machine. Is there a way to
> effect that?
>
> Thanks,

been there.

apt-get's too smart for its own good. Use a program lower on the
cybernetic intelligence tree.

i got out of it, but i don't remember exactly.
try

dpkg -r someprogram

and let us know your results.
maybe i used dselect? I don't remember. Try everything.

--
      *** Dr P's Book Knowledge, Hell's Bibliophiles, and ****
      *  somewhere over the rainbow, a 99% text-only website *