Re: vi recovery

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 01:20:20AM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
| I've been troubling you kind folks of late with my segfault problems
| with vi.  Since I don't try to do startlingly original things but
| am capable of messing anything up, I find it hard to believe that I
| would have found a previously undiscovered bug, and I think my
| latest problem arose from a rash attempt to compile my own kernel.
|
| However, I'm now stuck with the problem (after reverting to the
| kernel off a CD) that vi reminds me at every reboot that it has a
| file that I can recover, but segfaults when I try to do so.
|
| Can someone tell me how I can get rid of this?  I've tried removing
| the nearly two thousand files that vi has put in /tmp but it
| doesn't help.

I don't know about *n*vi, but vim creates a file .<filename>.swp in
the same directory as the file you are editing.  That is the file to
remove to get rid of the notices.  Replace <filename> with the name of
the file you were editing.  Note that (again, with vim, I don't know
about nvi) I you edit the file without removing the .swp file it
creates a second swap file called .swo instead.

HTH,
-D