vi recovery

I've been troubling you kind folks of late with my segfault problems
with vi.  Since I don't try to do startlingly original things but
am capable of messing anything up, I find it hard to believe that I
would have found a previously undiscovered bug, and I think my
latest problem arose from a rash attempt to compile my own kernel.

However, I'm now stuck with the problem (after reverting to the
kernel off a CD) that vi reminds me at every reboot that it has a
file that I can recover, but segfaults when I try to do so.

Can someone tell me how I can get rid of this?  I've tried removing
the nearly two thousand files that vi has put in /tmp but it
doesn't help.

David