jens:

have you tried

$ lpc status all
lp0:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        sending to 15.16.129.10

assuming your printer is "connected" to lp0, you should see something like
this. (if you've more printer queues, they will also be printed.

you can see what jobs are ready with lpq:

$ lpq
rl76065.cup.hp.com: Warning: lp is down: printing disabled
rl76065.cup.hp.com: Warning: lp queue is turned off

rl76065.cup.hp.com: Warning: no daemon present
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       762  Makefile                              12856 bytes

to kill this job, use lprm -Pprinter job# user
$ lprm -P lp0 762 root
dfA762rl76065.cup.hp.com dequeued
cfA762rl76065.cup.hp.com dequeued

you may want to clean up the queue with lpc if "lpc status" shows some
lingering stuff
$ lpc clean lp0
lp0:
$ lpc abort lp0
lp0:
        printing disabled
        no daemon to abort
$ lpc restart lp0
lp0:
        no daemon to abort
lp0:
        daemon started
$ lpc enable lp0
lp0:
        queuing enabled
$ lpc up lp0
lp0:
        printing enabled
        daemon started
$ lpc status lp0
lp0:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

while this may appear overkill, i have found this is what will retrun a
printer back to "life"

--
regards,
allen wayne best