Re: Sys Admin guide specific to Debian?

on Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:33:27AM -0700, Tim Moss (debian@to11.net) wrote:
> Steve Dondley wrote:
> > I'm a Linux beginner with Debian installed.  I'm looking for a http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag2/index.htmlbeginner's
> > guide to System Administration and I'm wondering if there might not be one
> > particular to Debian.  If not, can someone point me in the direction of a
> > good generic SysAdmin guide?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> These aren't Debian specific but there are some very good works here
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html
>
> There is also _Learning Debian GNU/Linux_ from O'Reilly, though some of
> it may be a little dated at this point since it's a few years old.

I can't recommend this book.

There's a thin Sam's guide to Debian which was decent.  There was also
an older...Slink, perhaps?...Debian-project produced book about two
years ago.  Website, and Debian-Policy, are probably the best sources of
ancillary information, after a solid Unix reference.  My
recommendations:

  - Nemeth, et al, _UNIX Administration Handbook_, Prentice Hall.
  - Frisch, _Essential System Administration_, O'Reilly.
  - Siever, et al, _Linux in a Nutshell_, O'Reilly.
  - Matt Welsh, _Running Linux_, O'Reilly.
  - Peek, et all, _UNIX Power Tools_, O'Reilly.