Re: X-Clients for Windows

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 12:46:57PM -0600, John Purser wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I'm looking for a good how-to on for using a windows box (ME) as a client
| for a Linux X-server.  Has anyone got a good link or a recommended product?

I think you may have gotten the terminology reversed -- an X _server_
is the thing that runs on the machine you are sitting at and interacts
with the video hardware.  An X _client_ is any application requiring a
GUI interface.  X clients are run either on the same machine as the X
server or on a remote system.

I think you intend to sit at a windows box and remotely login to the
Linux box.  If so you want Cygwin/XFree86.  It works really well for
me!

    http://www.cygwin.com/
    http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/
    http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/

When you run the X server (on the windows box) you can either start a
window manager or you can use the -query option to have it display the
login screen from your Linux box.  If you choose the former, the
default (on cygwin) is twm.  twm is really ugly (IMO) and KDE looks
much better (even though I am a GNOME fan).

HTH,
-D