Re: XFree86 4.1.0 with Potato

On Tuesday Aug 28, 11:47 Andrew Nesbit wrote:
>hi ho... I will be installing Debian 2.2r3 (Potato) for the first time soon,
>but as I understand, it comes with XFree86 3.3.6. The problem is that I
>really need XFree86 4.1.0 (due to my NVidia GeForce2 MX).
>
>What's my best plan of attack? Should I install the base Potato system, and
>then just install 4.1.0 from the unstable package collection?

Hi!

I did this to get a running xfree86 4.x on my potato system: First i
looked at http://www.debian.org. There is a link called: Debian packages.
If you click it, there cames the package search engine. Here i looked
for the x-packages from testing (Woody). Cause you can see all the
dependancies too here, it is a good way.

Some packages like the libc6 you have to update bevore installing
xfree 4.x.

So i downloadet this packages and installed them by hand, using dpkg.
At last i installed the fxree86 4.x packages. Also by hand.

It's not a very quick way to install 20 or 30 packages by hand. But it
is a very save method to keep all other packages stable.

If you like to use the whole woody, you can edit your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free

is the right setting to get access to all woody packages.

>(BTW, I might also want to use Perl 5.6 in the not-too-distant future...
>would this sort of upgrade require an upgrade of the base system from Potato
>to Woody?)

With perl 5.6 i made the same. You have to be a little bit caerful
by updating your perl. There are two required packages to update.
You should do this only after updating the libc6 cause your perl
5.6 wouldn't work without glibc 2.2. If this happens, you can't
use dpkg cause it depends on perl. And if you can't use dpkg, you
can forget your system and have to make a new installation.

Timo