wireless networking support?

I've got a linksys wireless network and I'm wondering if there is device
support for it in the linux kernel, and more realistically, if there are some
drivers out there that can make it work.  Specifically, I'm hoping to find
some way to connect to the internet.

The current setup is a wireless access point\router and (this is the
important, and by coincidence, the most confusing one) a wireless usb network
adapter. I really am doubting that there's even kernel support for this thing
as I couldn't find anything similar in devices.txt (and i'm running a pretty
recent kernel: 4.6ish i think).  Linksys also makes a PC card that allows a
PCMCIA wireless network adapter to plug in, but a) does this function like a
normal PCMCIA card as far as major and minor numbers? and b) does it work
with linux?

what are some of the "standard" wireless networking products used with linux
(for future reference, and even though you guys dislike the notion of
standards)?
also, links to good networking\wireless networking linux sites and general
advice are appreciated.
thank you