Re: devfsd + xconsole

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 01:58:18AM +0200, Eamon Roque wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there anything special that one has to do to get xconsole working
> with devfs? I have the newest devfsd from unstable, but xconsole just
> doesn't seem to want to start. I have it starting in my Xsession file
> (/etc/X11/Xsession) and have put it in xinitrc for good measure. no
> dice.
> Is there any sawfish/gnome incompatibility?! Is it really devfs?! Have I
> just not read the write documentation?!
>
> I'm running unstable with kernel 2.4.8 and devfsd_1.3.18-1_i386.deb
>
> Any tips?

I have no idea if there is an issue with devfs, but are you sure
xconsole is trying to read from the correct device?  By default, I think
it tries to read /dev/console, but it should use /dev/xconsole (which is
a FIFO).  "xconsole -file /dev/xconsole"  You need to have permission to
read /dev/xconsole as well ("adduser <you> adm").

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>