Re: Hard disk messages

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 07:29:06PM +0300, George Karaolides wrote:
> I have installed Debian potato on a couple of boxes with IDE disks.
> Sometimes I get the following console message on both boxes:
>
> hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hda: no DRQ after issuting WRITE
> ide0: reset: Success
>
> What, if anything, is wrong?

This is at least the most amusing explanation I've seen, from the Debian
fortune file via a Debian IRC channel:

[cjwatson@arborlon ~]$ fortune -m HardDrive
(knghtbrd)
%
<Overfiend> Thunder-: when you get { MessagesLikeThisFromYourHardDrive }
<Overfiend> Thunder-: it either means { TheDriverIsScrewy }
<Overfiend> or
<Overfiend> { YourDriveIsFlakingOut BackUpYourDataBeforeIt'sTooLate
            PrayToGod }
%

The drive I have that used to do that sort of thing was an example of
the former, but you probably want to make sure you have backups in case
it's the latter (speaking as someone who doesn't do the backups he
should and recently probably lost a good bit of data as a result ...).