Re: segfault in vi

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, dman wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 01:40:50AM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
>| I was trying to remove the formatting mumbo-jumbo of a MS WordPad
>| document in vi, but it segfaulted - repeatedly.  Is there a
>| known reason for this?
>Uhh, vi is and copyrighted by AT&T and I don't think it is maintained
>anymore.  You don't have it.  Now which vi *clone* do you have
>installed?  nvi? elvis? vim?  I like vim the best -- it has a lot of
>really useful features and is very stable, not to mention extremely
>cross-platform.  Try 'antiword' though -- it is really cool at
>rendering Word docs as plain text.

Uhhh, no.  vi was written and copyrighted by UCB.  In fact, it was part of
2BSD, which also included termcap.

There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare
would be produced.   Now, thanks to Usenet, we know this is not true.