Re: segfault in vi

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, dman wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 01:40:50AM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
>| I was trying to remove the formatting mumbo-jumbo of a MS WordPad
>| document in vi, but it segfaulted - repeatedly.  Is there a
>| known reason for this?
>
>Uhh, vi is and copyrighted by AT&T and I don't think it is maintained
>anymore.  You don't have it.  Now which vi *clone* do you have
>installed?  nvi? elvis? vim?  I like vim the best -- it has a lot of
>really useful features and is very stable, not to mention extremely
>cross-platform.  Try 'antiword' though -- it is really cool at
>rendering Word docs as plain text.

Uhhh, no.  vi was written and copyrighted by UCB.  In fact, it was part of
2BSD, which also included termcap.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/kirkmck.html

--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare