apt-get causing some frustration

Hi,

Wondering if someone out there can help?
I have been having numerous problems with apt-get lately, first I keep
getting strange characters appearing in the sources.list, that I have come
to live with I edit it, correct it & it appears to function fine afterwards,
then possibly some days later I will read about some update,etc. go to use
apt-get to install/upgrade it & it dies on me. I have installed what
apparently is the latest.
- apt 0.3.19 for i386
& all was fine for about 3 days, then bang!!!

Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
E: Error occured while processing apache (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Now some days ago I did install the latest patch for apache, however I used
apt-get after that no problem.

TIA

CraigW