Re: Installing Perl 5.6.1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Dondley" <stevedondley@mediaone.net>
To: "Debian-Users" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 9:11 PM
Subject: Installing Perl 5.6.1

> Situation:
> Debian ships with Perl 5.005.  But there are more recent versions of Perl
> and Debian lists two versions of Perl 5.6.1, "testing" and "unstable".

(1)
Debian Stable (2.2r*) ships with Perl 5.005 - here, stable refers to the
whole
distribution and have nothing to do with the software inside. For example,
if
software foo-1.0 released just after potato has released, no one can put
foo-1.0 into the Stable distribution without waiting for next release.

And debian should list one version of Perl 5.6.1 in two different
distribution
(Sid and Woody) and not two version in one distribution. Testing and
unstable,
too, refers to the whole distribution, and not perl.

> Questions:
> 5.6.1 has been out quite a while and Perl.com lists 5.6.1 as "stable".
What
> about it is not considered "stable" for use on Debian?  Or is the
"unstable"
> label just some kind of formality?

as described in (1)

> Is there a way to install 5.6.1 without wiping out 5.005?  In other words,
> can I have both versions running on my machine, allowing the scripts to
> determine which version of Perl to use?  Please keep in mind I'm a total
> Linux newbie and barely know how to use apt-get.

yes, however, i suggest that you should install it by yourself using source
from perl.com (and install it into /usr/local/bin and not /usr/bin, by
convention.)

--
A gas which obeys to the perfect gas equation is a perfect gas,
where the perfect gas equation describes the relationship