Re: Sharing files between Linux & Windows machines on LAN

"Steve Dondley" wrote:

Please tell Outlook not to add HTML to your mails; plain tedt only
is what we want.

  >My setup:
  >I've got a Linksys router connecting my two computers to my cable modem.  My
      > first computer has just
  >Windows 98 on it, the second computer is a dual-boot with Windows 98 and Deb
      >ian's latest stable
  >release.
  >
  >My skills:
  >Total Linux and networking newbie.  Took a long time to figure out how to ge
      >t the above setup
  >working.
  >
  >My question:
  >What is the easiest way to share files between the two computers?  Is it pos
      >sible over the LAN
  >created with the router?  What software do I need to accomplish this?

I'm not clear what kind of connection there is between computers and
router: does each computer have a different IP address?  Can you detect
the Windows computer with ping?

If the two can't talk to each other through the router, you need to
put network cards in both and connect them directly.

Once the two can talk to each other, you need to install Samba on the
Debian machine.  Samba will pretend to be a Windows machine so that
it can act as a server to all Windows machines on a network; it will
also let programs on the DDebian machine access fileshares on the
Windows machine.

     "But the end of all things is at hand; be ye therefore
      sober, and watch unto prayer. And above all things
      have fervent love among yourselves; for love shall
      cover the multitude of sins."      I Peter 4:7,8